In November 2022, OpenAI released ChatGPT, an artificial intelligence website that can generate text and respond in a human-like manner. With over a million users in just a week after its launch, ChatGPT quickly became a sensation and sparked discussions about its potential impact on various industries, including tourism, the MICE industry, and destination marketing. In this post, I`ll explore what ChatGPT is, how it works, its capabilities and limitations, and the potential implications for businesses and professionals in business travel, events and meetings.
To answer these questions, it is necessary to first explain what ChatGPT is.
What is ChatGPT?
Simply put, ChatGPT is an artificial intelligence system that can generate text and achieve a response style similar to humans. What sets ChatGPT apart from a regular chatbot is that it has been “specifically trained” to understand human intentions in a question and provide helpful, truthful, and harmless answers.
Chat GPT (Generative Pre-trained Transformer) was released in November 2022 and became a sensation. It was created by OpenAI, a San Francisco-based company that is also famous for creating DALL·E, which generates images from textual instructions.
Interestingly, one of the co-founders of OpenAI is a Pole – Wojciech Zaremba from Kluczbork.
Just one week after its launch, ChatGPT already had one million users.
The first comments about ChatGPT were on the one hand enthusiastic, praising this new form of artificial intelligence, while on the other hand alarming, predicting the end of certain professions. Journalists, copywriters, and even the need for Google search may be replaced because ChatGPT can answer all our questions.
I also have my own questions. Is ChatGPT the Game Changer in Destination Marketing? Is ChatGPT a revolution and the beginning of a New Era in Event Industry Communication? What are the Pros and Cons of Using ChatGPT for Tourism and Destination Marketing?
I do not know yet. What do you think?
How ChatGPT does website works?
On the first page, we are provided with information on what we can ask, how we can use ChatGPT, and warnings about the limitations of artificial intelligence.
Here are some examples of how ChatGPT works:
- Explain quantum computing in a simple way
- Do you have any creative ideas for a 10-year-old’s birthday?
- Remembers what the user said earlier in the conversation
- Allows the user to make further corrections
- Trained to reject inappropriate requests
- Sometimes it may generate incorrect information
- Sometimes it may generate harmful instructions or biased content
- Limited knowledge about the world and events after 2021
Let’s add that the created artificial intelligence is still learning. GPT was “trained” using vast amounts of data, including sources such as Reddit discussions, to help ChatGPT learn dialogue and achieve a human-like response style. ChatGPT has also been trained using feedback from people, allowing the AI to learn what people expect when asking a question.
How does Chat GPT learn?
The current version of GPT-3 has 175 billion parameters and was trained on 570 gigabytes of text. For comparison, its predecessor, GPT-2, was over 100 times smaller and had 1.5 billion parameters.
It is already being said that only the next version of GPT will be revolutionary (planned to be launched in 2023), because ChatGPT-4 may have 1 trillion parameters or even more, according to some reports. Similarly, it will be able to respond to text messages, generate content, translate languages, and summarize the text.
Read also on my blog
- How to use prompts and Chrome extensions for ChatGPT to get the best results?
- Tweet or not to tweet? Twitter in the MICE industry
- Destination marketing campaigns of convention bureaux
- Influencers in the MICE industry
- AI powered destination marketing campaigns
Negative effects of OpenAI chat
The negative side of this technology is that it has already been shown to generate responses based on non-existent source materials. Not all knowledge is available on the internet, and furthermore, there is a lot of false and negative content in this space. Additionally, despite safeguards, dangerous questions can be formulated and answered.
Furthermore, many users have discovered that ChatGPT can provide incorrect answers. The fundamental problem is that while the answers generated by ChatGPT may be wrong, they usually look like they could be right… They say ChatGPT hallucinates or ChatGPT can have hallucinations Therefore, responses should be viewed with a certain degree of suspicion.
ChatGPT still has several important shortcomings. For example, compared to humans, AI does not think critically. The allegedly journalistic articles it writes look like they were created by PR departments. There are already questions about compliance with copyright laws and the threat of plagiarism.
How to get started using ChatGPT?
You can use ChatGPT for free (for now). How can you start using it? First, you need to register by providing your email address and phone number. According to OpenAI, “We ask for this information solely to help us verify your account and ensure our platform remains safe.”
After logging in, there is a field at the bottom where you can enter your question or you can click “New Chat” in the top right corner to start a conversation with the intelligent chatbot. The answers to questions appear very quickly, and conversations with a chatbot can be saved. Everything is simple and intuitive.
Testing Artificial Intelligence
How can you benefit from this artificial intelligence chatbot by OpenAI both in your personal and professional life? I encourage you to test and have fun on chat.openai.com website. You can ask questions and get answers for free in Polish as well.
Some example questions I asked ChatGPT:
- Why is it worth organizing a conference in Warsaw?
- Name five of the best hotels in Krakow.
- What are the biggest tourist attractions in Gdansk according to a guidebook?
The answers may surprise you.
Test 1: What are the five best hotels in Warsaw? (by ChatGPT)
An example answer to the question “What are the five best hotels in Warsaw?”
Here are five hotels in Warsaw that could be a good choice for guests:
- Hotel Raffles Europejski Warsaw – A luxury hotel located in the centre of Warsaw, near many tourist attractions.
- Hotel Sofitel Warsaw Victoria – An elegant hotel with excellent views of the city and proximity to the main tourist attractions.
- InterContinental Warsaw – A luxury hotel with excellent views of the city and excellent amenities, such as a spa and pool.
- Hotel Bristol, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Warsaw – A luxury hotel located in the centre of Warsaw, with excellent service and amenities such as a spa and pool.
- Hilton Warsaw Hotel and Convention Centre – A modern hotel with an excellent location in the city center and a rich set of amenities, including a pool, gym, and spa.
This is, of course, a subjective list, and other hotels in Warsaw may be just as good or better for specific guest needs. I recommend conducting additional research and comparing different options to find the best hotel for yourself.
Test 2: How to get to the Sofitel Warsaw Hotel from Warsaw Chopin airport as quickly as possible?
There are several ways to quickly get from Warsaw Chopin Airport to the Sofitel Warsaw Hotel:
- Taxi: You can take a taxi from the airport that will take you directly to the hotel. This is the fastest way, but it can also be the most expensive.
- Train: You can take the train from the airport to Warszawa Centralna Station, and then transfer to the metro and get off at Ratusz Arsenal station. The hotel is a few minutes walk from Ratusz Arsenal station.
- Bus: You can take the bus from the airport to Warszawa Centralna station, and then transfer to the metro and get off at Ratusz station. The hotel is a few minutes walk from Ratusz Arsenal station.
- Car: You can rent a car at the airport and drive to the hotel yourself. This can be a good solution if you plan to visit Warsaw and its surroundings and want more freedom of movement.
I recommend checking the availability and prices of each option to find the best solution for your needs.
Is Warsaw a beautiful city?
ChatGPT answers: Whether Warsaw is a beautiful city is a subjective matter and depends on individual preferences. Some people may consider Warsaw a beautiful city due to its monuments and architecture, while others may focus on its modern buildings and urban attractions. In any case, Warsaw has a lot to offer and is a city with a rich history and culture, as well as a modern character. It’s worth coming here and evaluating for yourself whether the city is beautiful or not.
More questions, answers and hallucinations
Other questions and answers demonstrate the limitations of the current version of Chat GPT.
Question: What are the recently opened hotels in Wroclaw?
ChatGPT’s answer: Unfortunately, I do not have current information on recently opened hotels in Wroclaw because my knowledge cutoff is in the year 2021. If you are looking for up-to-date information on this topic, I recommend checking the websites of local publishers or contacting the tourist office of the city of Wroclaw.
The same applies to the question about a congress hall in Warsaw. What is the largest congress hall in Warsaw?
ChatGPT: The largest congress hall in Warsaw is the Hala Kongresowa, located at 2 Prusa Street. The hall has an area of over 16,000 square meters and can accommodate up to 10,000 people. It also has large, modern technical equipment, which makes it an ideal location for large conferences and events. The hall is part of the Congress Center, which also includes several smaller conference rooms, allowing for the organization of many different events at the same time.
Fortunately, the answer to the question “What is a convention bureau:? was correct. However, afterwards, the chat provided a lot of untrue information on subsequent questions, although it sounded rational. ChatGPT hallucinates again …
What did ChatGPT just say about tourist attractions in Gdansk? Funny!
At the end of the tourism and travel tests, the answer to the question about five attractions worth seeing in Gdansk is funny.
Gdansk is a beautiful city with a rich history and many tourist attractions. Here are five attractions worth seeing during a visit to Gdansk:
- Old Town – the historic centre of Gdansk with numerous monuments such as the Town Hall, St. Mary’s Church, or Long Street.
- Long Street – the famous main street of Gdansk with numerous shops, restaurants, and cafes.
- Gdansk Farys- a 19th-century lighthouse located on the South Pier in Gdansk.
- Museum of the Second World War – an interesting museum dedicated to the history of World War II, located in Gdansk.
- Westerplatte Museum – a museum dedicated to the history of the Battle of Westerplatte, which took place in 1939 during World War II.
In addition to these attractions, it is also worth seeing other monuments of Gdansk, such as St. John’s Church, the Golden Gate, or the Upper Gate. Gdansk is also an excellent place for walks by the sea and visiting the beach in Brzezno.
Well… I’ll skip the issue of Main City – Old Town because I still have to explain the difference 😉 But in the Top 10 attractions of Gdansk, Gdansk Farys? What is this? Hmmm. Presumably, it was about the lighthouse in Nowy Port.
I am just a program …
Fortunately, the OpenAI chat adds:
I’m sorry for any mistakes in my answers. I’m just a computer program, and sometimes I can make a mistake or not be able to answer a question for various reasons. If you have any questions or doubts, I’ll be happy to help.
The longer I test and read texts created by artificial intelligence on the ChatGPT website, the more I come to the conclusion that although the answers may be correct, though not always, a certain pattern of created texts can be felt. It is not a good idea and I do not recommend creating texts for a blog or essays for school.
What else can artificial intelligence do?
The capabilities of asking questions and generating content (such as creating code, essays, articles for blogs, and business-style emails) are definitely more advanced.
New tools that support or utilize OpenAI are constantly being developed. One such example is the WebChatGPT Chrome extension. It allows you to eliminate the aforementioned problem of presenting data that is important only up until the end of 2021 in responses. Thanks to the WebChatGPT extension, an additional bar appears in the chat window, and the answers to questions contain the latest information, with additional sources from the internet provided.
Without this extension, the answer to the question “What is the tallest building in Warsaw?” was – Złota 44 (not correct). With WebChatGPT enabled, the answer is correct and up-to-date, which is the Varso Tower.
It is said that ChatGPT can replace humans, and many professions will simply disappear. In my opinion, this will not happen, at least I hope so. It is worth following the development of artificial intelligence and how it will affect our lives…